Thursday, September 23, 2010

wow i haven't heard this in years!

A '63, 10,000 miles. What was I thinking? I drove myself insane. No small getaway. Asleep with both hands on the wheel. White knuckle weekend. Chewing ephedrine. Going to an unnamed end. Unending... We met in rain, you asked me in. Seemed like a good sign. Now I need a guillotine To get you off my mind. I brush my teeth until they break. Until I start bleeding. So when I smile I'll know I'm almost good enough for you. And would you... Follow me to the end of the dare. Raise your eyes, return the stare. Become your words. Your words so becoming. On any Sunday I'll be there. I tried to drink you off my mind. I just got wasted. It only made the pain that much more acute. But cute isn't strong enough a word. Unintentionally gorgeous. An accidental charm. A graceful drinking arm. Disarming


My favorite song at 18 yrs old -  bragging that I could drive/ think/ eat/ carry conversation/ while sleeping. bashing my head too many times skiing, falling in love with someone who lived too far away who was destined to haunt my existence, as a muse, for too many years, impairing so many things along the way-...  I was working for my fathers contracting company, cleaning carpets in superstores( shopko ) all over the western half of the US smacking an unsightly number of deer (especially in Nebraska) driving the v10 van at 90 all night, and devoting a regular chunk of daytime to a ministry work.     


Dad had to resort to throwing my shoes at me to wake me up some mornings!

1 comment: